People to Contact after a Death Occurs
- IMMEDIATELY CALL your physician or hospice, if under their care, or 911 to have the death pronounced.
- Mortuary or Crematorium – The mortuary can assist with the obituary(ies) and will usually order death certificate(s) – fees applicable. It is suggested you order at least 10 death certificates. If you need more death certificates than you initially ordered, contact the County of San Diego Vital Records and Statistics at (619) 692-5733. You may be asked to provide them with the deceased’s full name, date of birth, place of birth, proof of military service (if a veteran) and their social security number.
- Good Samaritan Episcopal Church at (858) 458-1501. The church is available to help you in the areas of pastoral support, providing meals, prayer support, preparation for the funeral and assistance with other needs. Schedule time with clergy to work through plans for the memorial service – bring or plan to fill out the Memorial Preparation pre-arrangement form ahead of time (see the link provided).
- Family and Friends
- Social Security Administration – 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) – Hours 7:00 am – 7:00 pm M-F or visit them at: www.ssa.gov/survivorplan/survivors
- Deceased’s place of employment
- Veterans Affairs – If your loved one was an active member of the military or a veteran, you may be able to receive assistance with funeral, burial plot and other benefits. For information on scheduling a burial at a National Cemetery call 1-800-535-1117.
Decedent Affairs – call (619) 532-8305 to learn of eligibility for death benefits.Headstone or grave markers – fill out form 40-1330 at www.va.gov/vaforms
Navy Burial at Sea Program – contact the Navy Coordinator at (619) 532-8066.
Survivor’s Benefits – contact the VA at (800) 827-1000 www.vba.va.gov/survivors
- Insurance Companies –Health Insurance – terminate coverage for the deceased and identify continuing benefits for the survivor(s).
Life Insurance – request forms for submitting a claim (you may need multiple copies of their birth certificate, marriage certificate and death certificate if more than one claimant).
Long-Term Care Insurance – notify the company.
Mortgage Loan Insurance – request forms for submitting a claim (you may need multiple copies of their birth certificate, marriage certificate and death certificate if more than one claimant).
Auto Insurance – terminate coverage for the deceased and identify continuing benefits for survivor(s).
- Credit Cards and Loans – terminate or remove deceased and identify continuing survivor(s).
- Cell Phone, Internet Service Providers, other Electronic Media Accounts – terminate or remove deceased from any account and identify continuing survivor(s).
- Lawyer(s) and Accountant/Financial Advisor(s)
- Following a discussion with your attorney or lawyer, notify banks as advised.